All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adult Lit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:22 pm 

what have you lemonheads been reading

Post subject: Re: Adult Lit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Most recently:

Mayor Menino's "Mayor for a New America" - actually really liked / it wasn't boring.

Lodro's "The Buddha Walks Into the Office" - Some good stuff if you work in an office but pretty heavy on the religion stuff so if you can look past that there are some pretty nice take ways.

Burrough's - "Interzone" - Great obviously.

Jay Z's "Decoded" - If you're into hip hop / Jay Z it's a solid read with some good back stories.

Kerouac's "Dharma Bums" - Great obviously.

-- Nothing thats been really mind blowing / great been into non-fiction lately. But open to any / all suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Raymond Carver - "What we talk about when we talk about love"

Great modern short stories.

Also really into Wells Tower - "everything ravaged, everything burned" some of the best short fiction I have ever read.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:45 pm 

point counter point by aldous huxley. highbrow discussions of art and god that revolve around an affair, so no surprises here for huxley fans. it's basically a rip-off of anna karenina but without tolstoy's garbage about morality, complete with a suicide at the end. the scenes that take place in the editorial office where protagonist works are genuinely hilarious, in a pretentious sort of way.

dead souls by nikolai gogol. an obscure ex-smuggler who worked in the customs office goes around to provincial landowners and offers to buy all their dead serfs. he's looking for a quick rouble until a millionaire who made his fortune through hard work gives him some great advice.

recent re-reads include crome yellow by huxley and the bell jar by sylvia plath. less recent but highly recommended include keep the aspidistra flying (about a bookseller who wages war on money) and a clergyman's daughter (about a girl who loses her faith), both by george orwell.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:55 pm 

Adult clit haha

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

mikemccarthy wrote:
Raymond Carver - "What we talk about when we talk about love"

Great modern short stories.

Also really into Wells Tower - "everything ravaged, everything burned" some of the best short fiction I have ever clean.

still can't believe how good the wells tower book was... have you seen birdman yet? "what we talk about..." figures very prominently in the plot

no one here will want to read it but "strange details" by michael caldwell was great, and so's the collection of zippy cartoons my brother gave me for christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

i saw birdman last week and now feel obligated to read what we talk about

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:40 pm 

as far as fiction goes i've been knee deep into Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle trilogy, it's been getting some decent hype on that autobiography-as-fiction tip (i.e. Chris Kraus)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm 

[quote="denmark"][quote="mikemccarthy"]collection of zippy cartoons my brother gave me for christmas.[quote]

Last year was the year of "Zippy" for me. I read every single "Zippy" collection that was available through the SAILS system. I am convinced that Bill Griffith draws the last respectable daily strip in the USA, and is quite possibly one of the unsung geniuses in the world of comics. Hes releasing a graphic memoir this September, so keep your eyes peeled!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:15 pm 

Troy_McClure wrote:
SAILS

fun fact:: the downtown library has the complete works of anna akhmatova in a bilingual two volume set with surprisingly good translations. she survived the siege of leningrad, during which the nazis wrought famine and death on russian civilians for three years. recommended for anyone who wants to read some anorexic chick's emo poetry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:46 pm 

I'm on the last book of the His Dark Materials trilogy. It's overall been a great time. I don't read much fantasy, but I'd hope that most "young adult" fantasy is at least as good as these books. Book two was weak but the first one's setting is magical.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:56 pm 

non-fiction: The Destruction of the European Jews by Raul Hilberg. Super fascinating analysis of Germany's point by point rollout of the "Final Solution."

fiction: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. Was beyond disappointed with 1Q84, and was convinced to give him another chance with this one, it's alright so far, but I'm apprehensive until I complete it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:15 pm 

No fiction for me as of late, mostly been reading lots of stuffy books about cogent music notation practices. About halfway through "How to Write for Percussion: A Comprehensive Guide to Percussion Composition" by Samuel Z Solomon. For a "How To" book its actually pretty fun and goes down very smooth. Excellent examples that answer any and all questions one could reasonably have about to write down music for percussion players. The book also delves into the more interesting question of if standardized percussion notation is even really possible, although from some of his writing I think he hopes that his book will become the standard. :?

We'll just see about that.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to read "Johann Sebastian Bach: The Learned Musician" by Christoph Wolff for a class this semester, and I'm looking forward to cracking into it. I've had the book for many years and have read a few chapters here and there, but theres nothing giving like a weighty historical tome a serious go.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:44 pm 

Yo why doesn't homeboy just write drum tabs. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:36 am 

Or just record cell phones vids of him playing all the notes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:09 am 
Site Admin

or just watch that purdy shuffle instructional video

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm 

[youtube]http://youtu.be/oOWdp1sOxvA[/youtube]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:30 pm 

I need an adult. How does youtube.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

oh that broke i gotta fix it....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

Started 'This Is How You Lose Her' by Junot Díaz over the weekend. So far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

been reading this bad larry, which as you can tell from the cover is thrilling and riveting

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

I bought two books yesterday at Goodwill, one on Lester Bangs and the other on John Peel. I got like 50 pages into Lester last night, it reads like a 60s beatnik guy getting wasted and writing rock criticism

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:25 am 

what is the bangs book>? john? i have both collections and def dig… since the snow started i finished up valis (pkd is one of my favorites never fucked w this one for some odd reason.. def in top 2?) started reading against nature by huysmans but I'm slacking and my bookmark fell out.. def some dark shit that i can get into right now though.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:41 am 
Site Admin

psychotic reactions and carburetor dung, the latter definitely being a topic i can relate to lol. i got up to a chapter about how shitty elton john and james taylor are and he mentions how great wild thing by the troggs is at least every couple pages

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:39 am 

I've prob read that whole thing like 10Xs over the years.. def an entertaining read.. he was pretty on point with stuff too even with the lowbrow/drugg vibe. got into a ton stuff from reading those. esp jams, free jazz , miles davis 70s stuff etc, "reasonable guide to horrible noise" is a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:33 pm 

currently reading growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms, 3rd edition, by paul stamets. this fantastic reference work describes simple and advanced techniques for using fungi in organic gardens. edible mushrooms spawned on wood refuse replenish the soil around plants and trees. recommended for anyone with a green thumb and a sense of ecological responsibility. contains indoor and outdoor techniques.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

this is a great read, not at this price though. highly recommended if you can find it or get it at the library

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Avenue-Memo ... 25a0e2d41b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

If you're interested Jcamps, or anyone, I took a course on Portuguese immigration to southeast New England and have some nice books on the immigrant experience in New Bedford I'd be happy to loan out, mostly essay collections but some scholarly research too