It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cineclub
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:49 pm 

By big screen, home theatre, or smart phone, has anyone seen any good movies lately?

Post subject: Re: cineclub
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

I think I'm gonna watch Cemetary Junction in a bit, I'll report back on it. The last movie I saw in theaters was Inherent Vice, I really dug it and need to dig a little deeper into Paul Thomas Anderson's catalog. Highly reccommend all of you check it out. I've also seen Birdman and Foxcatcher recently. I liked Birdman but Foxcatcher really bummed me out and aside from the cinematography being well done I didn't think it was that great.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:47 pm 

jcamps wrote:
The last movie I saw in theaters was Inherent Vice, I really dug it and need to dig a little deeper into Paul Thomas Anderson's catalog.

Haven't caught Inherent Vice yet, but PTA has some awesome stuff, "The Master" being one of my favorites. Didn't realize 'til recently that he had done "Punch Drunk Love" as well, which was surprisingly great. Don't know if you have netflix, but they have a decent selection of his stuff up right now, save for Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

nleblanc wrote:
jcamps wrote:
The last movie I saw in theaters was Inherent Vice, I really dug it and need to dig a little deeper into Paul Thomas Anderson's catalog.

Haven't caught Inherent Vice yet, but PTA has some awesome stuff, "The Master" being one of my favorites. Didn't realize 'til recently that he had done "Punch Drunk Love" as well, which was surprisingly great. Don't know if you have netflix, but they have a decent selection of his stuff up right now, save for Boogie Nights and Magnolia.

Yeah I think I've only seen Punch Drunk Love and Boogie Nights, just made the same realization with Punch Drunk Love. I don't have Netflix but I'll have to get his others downloaded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:29 am 

I've now heard mixed reviews of Inherent Vice. I kind of want to see it, though I've never read any Pynchon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

I've never read either but I definitely suggest you see it.

I just watched the Imitation Game, I think its great. I had to program an enigma puzzle in college but didn't have to deal with the actual frustration of solving it in the process.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 am 
Site Admin

Babadook duh.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:29 pm 

Dude that movie scared the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:18 pm 

Posted this on fuckbook earlier today, but AJ suggested it would be better suited as an nbrock post, so here it is. Wasnt sure if it should be its own thread, but figured since its film related it should just go in the "cineclub" thread. Enjoy.

http://grantland.com/features/2014-holl ... box-office

Most of my friends and family know that my opinions about contemporary American film are overwhelmingly negative. Whenever a new installment in a superhero series or another reboot of an already tired franchise comes out, I invariably get into arguments with my often excited friends as to the merits of this type of cinema. These types of conversations usually end with my fuming as to how any adult with even 1/10th of a functioning brain would pay to see a computer-generated cartoon about characters that were 50 years old 20 years ago and with people claiming that I "take everything to seriously" or "dont know how to have a good time and just enjoy a shitty movie".

Well friends, I hate to say it but the verdict is in, and mainstream criticism agrees that this type of filmmaking mindset is literally killing american film (and also your brain) and is based on the idea that your tastes and interest as an intelligent human being will not change between now and 2020 or at any point in the foreseeable future where movies are still made in this country.

Please, anybody that has ever watched a movie and thought it was beautiful or funny or thoughtful of joyful or sad or chilling or all of these things at once, READ THIS ARTICLE and think about how you're going to spend you're money next time you go to the movie theater.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Now that this comment is in the proper setting I feel I can reply.

I definitely don't consider myself a movie buff at all, but this issue is clearly present in any art-form. In music, major labels spend all of their time and resources working with well known artists who have a track record of success. As a result, the top 40 often includes the same 5-10 pop stars with similar sounding songs all the time. Very few new stars emerge, and when they do they are immediately beaten to death and over-played. In the video-game industry (yes, games are art-forms) the major game producers like Activision, EA, etc. continually put out the next Call of Duty, Madden, or Halo game rather than take a risk on a new franchise.

But I mean, everyone on this board knows this. It's the reason this board exists, the reason NBrock exists, the reason we all play in bands. We see the mainstream bullshit for what it is and have chosen to look for alternatives. That's what it comes down to. Use your money to support movies, music, games that deserve it and stay the fuck away from the media that doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

very well said aj ^^

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:29 pm 
Site Admin

Boyhood duh.